20 Inspiring Quotes About Reading for Kids and Students
This is an interesting article I found published on
SEPTEMBER 20, 2015 by MICHAEL STUTMAN. I encourage you to take a look.
Reading is Fundamental. In fact, it is one of the most important ingredients to becoming all that you can be.
Reading develops your brain, provides a window into the world around you and helps you do better in all school subjects.
Most importantly, reading can not only help you become a better student, but a better person. You can learn from the brightest people whenever and wherever you choose.
As important as reading is did you know that:
- 800 million people around the world cannot read or write
- Many families (and some schools) have no books for children to read
There are likely many children and people in your town or city that fall into this group. If you are already a strong reader, helping others to read is an amazing gift that you can give and there are some ideas below as to how you can help.
First, here are some inspiring quotes about reading that show the power and impact it can have on you and the world:
- “Once you learn to read, you will be forever free.” — Frederick Douglass
- “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you’ll go.”— Dr. Seuss, “I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!”
- “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.” – Groucho Marx
- “There are many little ways to enlarge your world. Love of books is the best of all.” – Jacqueline Kennedy
- “Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.” – Margaret Fuller
- “There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.” – Walt Disney
- “There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.” – Ray Bradbury
- “Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.” – Edmund Burke
- “The reading of all good books is like conversation with the finest (people) of the past centuries.” – Descartes
- “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.” – Richard Steele”
- So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray, Go throw your TV set away, And in its place you can install, A lovely bookshelf on the wall.” — Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- “Reading is a discount ticket to everywhere.” – Mary Schmich
- “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” – Stephen King
- “No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. — Lady Montagu
- “To learn to read is to light a fire” — Victor Hugo, Les Miserables
- “You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax all you need is a book!” – Dr. Seuss
- “Books train your mind to imagination to think big – Taylor Swift
- If you are going to get anywhere in life you have to read a lot of books.” – Roald Dahl
- “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body – Joseph Addison
- “Today a reader, tomorrow a leader” – Margaret Fuller
- “The whole world opened up to me when I learned to read” – Mary McCleod Bethune
Here is great video on the importance of reading from Book People Unite, with some folks you are sure to know!
Topics for Discussion:
- What is your favorite reading quote above? Why?
- How has reading helped you become a better person?
- How do you think the world would be different if everyone knew how to read?
- Not all children are provided with an equal chance to read. If you are fortunate to be a good reader, you can try to help other children in need. Hold a fundraiser or raise money for a charity like Reading is Fundamental, Booktober or FirstBook
- Volunteer to read to younger students in your school or donate your old books to a local charity, preschool, library or hospital
- Think about what you can do to improve your own reading? Consider using this worksheet to set some goals for yourself